2.25.2012

Wild Child

It started at 10 months. Walking. Then it was running. People were surprised that he could jump and actually get off the ground at such a young age. He can climb higher than he should and doesn't hesitate to do so. I have never worried about his motor skills. In fact, his motor skills were tested as part of a speech therapy program to make sure there were no bigger problems than speech. The Therapist had him climbing and hopping around - and to prove he could do it, he would look at her with a cocky expression and do it 5 more times than she wanted, or climb up a more difficult set of stairs than she pointed to. She would ask him to run from point A to point B. He would do so, stop - look at her and do it again. Almost like of course I can, Lady! I remember her saying, "Well I guess we don't need to continue on with this test." Always pushing his limits, he impresses us, scares us and forces us to discipline where we never thought we would have to. 

I couldn't find Lucas. After a few minutes, I could here a quiet voice coming from the Laundry room. "I'm in here..." As I search and search and search... I find him in the closed dryer. 
"No, Lucas - you can't go in the dryer."
L: "But I like it in there with the door shut. If you turn it on, I will tumble around and I will laugh."

"I need to climb up in the attic. I need to check and make sure everything is ok up there." -This being said from the top step of the ladder, arms up in the attic about to climb in.

I usually get a hand up in the air motioning me to stop in my tracks. A slight tilt of the head with an eye brow raised. "I'm Ok, Mom. I just need to do this." As he grabs for a knife to open something or matches to try and light the fire place. 

I love him and his craziness. It reminds me of my childhood. Not me necessarily, but innocence and creative thinking that kids do. I pull my hair out trying to teach him sometimes, but it is fun. I love hearing what goes on inside his little mind and what wild stunt he's going to attempt next. It never does surprise me. Exhaust? Yes. Surprise? No.

This photo was taken shortly after waking his brother from a nap, in his crib. He jumps out of the crib, scales the dresser and flies off it just as his pre-meditated get-away plan had looked in his head.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails