1.15.2009

high school flashback

I've been playing on a city league basketball team which has been a TON of fun. Good woman's leagues are hard to come by. When I have games, I usually leave Lucas with my parents as Jimmy goes off to Youth Night every Wednesday. Jimmy and Lucas were able to come to one of my recent games. It was fun to have my boys cheering me on in the bleachers. Before the game, Jimmy told Lucas, "Cheer as LOUD as you can, because Mommy will be there to cheer you on for the rest of your life."

This reminded of me of my WAY COOL, DEVOTED parents who were there at EVERY game of mine. I remember one time in particular, when the Mariners had a good year, I happened to have a high school volleyball game during one of their big games. (My Dad wasn't a big volleyball fan, but drug himself out to the games to show his support.) Most parents quietly listened to the M's on their headphones in the stands and now and then would announce the score to everyone that cared. Not my parents.
As we were warming up on the court, I hear everyone start laughing. I turn around to see MY Dad - Walking in the door with nothing but a bright yellow BOOM BOX on his shoulder. (gangsta style) All parents got to hear the baseball game on the radio, whether they wanted to or not!
At least he was there supporting his little girl.

I can't wait to watch Lucas from the sidelines while he competes, from the audience during performances, from the curb while he rides his bike or even from the couch as he takes his first steps. I will cheer him on. In fact, he might get a little annoyed by me. You better believe I'll be wearing his number, holding pom poms and yelling cheers. I hope to be as much support to him as my parents were to me.
{minus the boom box}

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was such a sweet post! I completely agree with you-

The Owens said...

You're so cute!!! I can't wait for those times with Jacob too! We can sit together sipping hot chocolate at the out door games in the colder months!=) It's going to be SO FUN!!! We are more football and baseball and maybe soccer people though.

Kennach said...

two things... I had no idea you played basketball and we definitely need to get together and play and second I am just like you. Leila will be so annoyed, embarrassed, and sometimes mad at how I will be every she is performing, but I cannot wait. I tear up at just the thought.

What league are you playing in...I was playing at the Puyallup Stk. Ctr. Tuesday nights and the competition was great; however it was drama so I stopped going and they moved it to Wednesday's and it is by invitation only...wow...some missionary work right?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails