I like to hear what new words come out each year in the Webster's dictionary. This is one from a couple years ago that I wasn't too excited with:
Etymology: crunk, word of fluctuating meaning used during the 1990s in lyrics of the rap groups OutKast and Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz a style of Southern rap music featuring repetitive chants and rapid dance rhythms
What's funny, is in the official definition, they didn't even use it in a sentance. This was definitely not Webster's-worthy. Maybe I'm a little old fashion, but just because it was in some rap songs doesn't mean it should be in the dictionary.
...and then there was:
extremely large : humongous
So many people use this word whether it's part of the dictionary or not, but I was just surprised to see it added. It still seems slang to me.
My favorites from this year are:
staycation (probably because I need one) and frenemy. (it's just fun to say)
I want to know who comes up with these? Who decides what belongs in the dictionary? As long as "crunk" doesn't end up on my children's spelling tests, I'll be ok.
Check out the new words for the year here.
- crunk
Etymology: crunk, word of fluctuating meaning used during the 1990s in lyrics of the rap groups OutKast and Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz a style of Southern rap music featuring repetitive chants and rapid dance rhythms
What's funny, is in the official definition, they didn't even use it in a sentance. This was definitely not Webster's-worthy. Maybe I'm a little old fashion, but just because it was in some rap songs doesn't mean it should be in the dictionary.
...and then there was:
extremely large : humongous
So many people use this word whether it's part of the dictionary or not, but I was just surprised to see it added. It still seems slang to me.
My favorites from this year are:
staycation (probably because I need one) and frenemy. (it's just fun to say)
I want to know who comes up with these? Who decides what belongs in the dictionary? As long as "crunk" doesn't end up on my children's spelling tests, I'll be ok.
Check out the new words for the year here.
3 comments:
How funny! Thanks for sharing the new additions...it is hillarious to me.
BTW: your trip to the beach looks like it was a blast. Great pictures!
Wow. This makes me laugh. Now, I can see these in "Urban Dictionary" But Websters??? I don't think so. I'd be really curious to find out WHO decides these belong in Websters.
I just read ginormous on a website a few minues ago and thought to myself...is that a real word?
We are so lazy with our language these days. Wait until Lucas starts school and you begin to learn how to read all over again. How letters sound one way and then another and the rules don't make sense because you always have an exception. After going through this last year, my sister (teaches ESL) said that I can just tell Reyde we are lazy in our language and it makes it just hard sometimes. You got that right. In Tokyo yesterday I taught a gal how to say SPAGHETTI. Spa get tee right? But if you think about it, we say spuh GET ee.
Post a Comment